SV: re : athlon 64 cross compiling

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 12:49:09 PST 2004

Marius Schrecker wrote:

> Thanks for the interest chris and kockkin.
>
> Does that mean that a gradual transition from x86 (32 bit) to x86_64 is
> out of the question?  I would still love to spend some time X-compiling
> a kernel if anyone can confirm that it is a way to go. After that
> recompiling the debs from source would just be fun on such a fast box

There is no simple answer to that; though you must have a 64 bit kernel
I started with a 32 bit system, that I made a 64 bit cross compiler on.

I prefer to build a new system each time; because most packages do
not behave well for 64 bit builds.

Please read Ryan's hints; there is a pointer at the top of my web
page.

I am undecided if it is worthwhile to build 32 bit at all. This
is what adds complexity because Athlon 64 machines will run both
32 bit and 64 bit applications; (but both 32 bit and 64 bit
libraries must be built)

If you choose to build both; then it is very easy to overwrite your
32/64 bit stuff with 64/32 bit stuff; breaking your system.  But
Ryan's scripts should overcome this.

If you choose to build a 64 bit system; then having booted a 64 bit
kernel; you can use your cross compiler for chapter 5.

For a quick build just link lib to lib64; then it does not matter
which library packages install in.

Chris