tracing spam

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.org.uk
Fri Nov 19 07:44:29 PST 2004

On Fri, November 19, 2004 15:31, Jason Gurtz said:
> On 11/19/2004 10:22, Jason Gurtz wrote:
>
>> The combination of all three of those will almost assure you of a clean
>> winhose.  To make them even more effective do this (assumes Win2k/XP):
>>
>> 1. Reboot into safe mode
>
> I forgot that some spywares/trojens are such that they look for the
> taskmanager or regedit process and kill it within a second if it is
> running.  In this case, download the pstools commandline utilities from
> sysinternals and use them to kill the explorer processes.
>
> ~Jason

Take a look at WinPatrol also, (do a web search, I cannot, I'm using
Squirrelmail).  One particularly tenacious piece of shi^H^H^Hmalware
managed to place a download of itself in Windows cron facility (forget
what it's called).  This couldn't be seen normally, except with WinPatrol.

Honestly, next time I will reinstall.
--
Tony