fcron

ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Tue Nov 16 10:01:03 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 05:03:02PM +0100, Stefan Krah (sfk1 at bigfoot.com) wrote:
> * ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net <ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net> wrote:
> > First off it is distinctly possible that I have missed something
> > obvious regarding turning off the idiotic behavior but this still does
> > not invalidate my points.  Not likely as I have read the various
> > manpages and docs that come with it.
> >
> > We have been having some trouble with fcron.  We have some daemons that
> > need to run 24/7.  To ensure this we have fcrontab to spawn a new daemon
> > every 5 minutes.
>
> Why not use /etc/inittab or daemontools?

I am going to explore the possible use of inittab for the daemons.
Thank you.  It is too late in the project to switch to daemontools
(besides which I have other reasons for not using djb's software).

> The Vixie cron behaves the way you want it to (well, at least in that
> respect).

Even at this late point in the project (we are two weeks from go-live) I
looked again (more closely) at Vixie Cron.  The SRPM I grabbed from Red
Hat has 22 patches in it.  Not a good sign.  I am unable to find any
indication that it is being actively maintained outside of what the
various distributions may be doing internally.  Paul Vixie seems to have
disowned it and considering its record I don't blame him.  :-)

The appearent lack of maintenance for dcron is why I took a pass on this
one too.
--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer, Elegant Innovations