fcron

Stefan Krah sfk1 at bigfoot.com
Tue Nov 16 08:03:02 PST 2004

* ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net <ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net> wrote:
> First off it is distinctly possible that I have missed something
> obvious regarding turning off the idiotic behavior but this still does
> not invalidate my points.  Not likely as I have read the various
> manpages and docs that come with it.
>
> We have been having some trouble with fcron.  We have some daemons that
> need to run 24/7.  To ensure this we have fcrontab to spawn a new daemon
> every 5 minutes.

Why not use /etc/inittab or daemontools?

> However, if it decides the daemon is already running it will not
> run the job.

Put this ...

!exesev(true)
@ 1 sleep 1000

... in your fcrontab and you get several simultaneous ``sleep'' processes.

I agree that the documentation could be clearer on the default behaviour,
but in most cases that default is not unreasonable.

The Vixie cron behaves the way you want it to (well, at least in that
respect).

> business.  Besides the more fundamental issue, the practical one that is
> causing us headaches is that sometimes it is wrong.

That, of course, is bad.

Stefan Krah