hardware problem

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Sat Nov 13 15:04:03 PST 2004

* michael <michael8110 at terra.com.br> [2004-11-13 22:52]:
> Hello,my machine was having trouble loading the bios,so i removed the cmos
> battery and cleaned it,and when i put it back,the machine behaved as if
> the power cord had been pulled,completely dead.So then i removed the
> battery,and it turned on with a battery warning ,circumventable by loading
> default cmos settings with F2.Why does the battery in place,even if dead
> ,kill the machine like that?

That's abnormal behavior AFAIK. My guess would be that either the
battery somehow shorted, or you installed in such a way that you
produced a short.

> And can i go on forever using F2 if this
> problem persists even with a new battery (which i haven't tried
> yet)?Thanks for any ideas,michael

Yes you can go on with F2 every time you turn the machine on. The
battery's purpose is only to keep the bios settings when the machine is
off.

I wonder when they'll start using flash memory instead.

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/