Mutilated emails (was Re: Sending HTML mail)

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Wed Nov 10 03:25:00 PST 2004

Jason Gurtz <jason at tommyk.com> writes:

> On 11/9/2004 10:21, Björn Lindberg wrote:
>
> > I managed to get it working by putting in the following headers:

> > I don't know how robust it is though.
>
> Yea, that should work just fine.  The MUA being used to read the message
> is what matters so if you have control of that, you can be very sure.  The
>  multipart mixed and so on allows for plain text versions but it sounds
> like you don't need that.  :)

Actually I don't have *full* control over readers used. I'm probably
going to include a text version as well.

> > Thanks for the ideas. Currently the mail sent is just an HTML document
> > with external links for images. I am going to investigate including
> > the images, although I'd prefer using Python since that is what I'm
> > using for the rest of this system.
>
> Yea, I'm sure that python has very similar ways to handle the problem.  I
> just don't know them.

Me neither :-). I'm looking into constructing the mail "manually". The
content-type is called multipart/related, and it doesn't seem too hard
to put together.

But now I have another -- very bizarre -- problem. All the mails I'm
sending this way gets the sequence '!\n ' inserted into them, always
after the 2359th character. That is, the sequence is one exclamation
point, a newline, and a space. I simply cannot understand who or what
is mutilating my emails?!

Any thoughts on this last problem is most appreciated.

Björn