Sending HTML mail

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Tue Nov 9 04:05:00 PST 2004

Hello all,

I have a bit of an embarassing question, actually. I need to send HTML
email.

Right now I am sending email programmatically invoking sendmail
directly. The emails I need to send are inline HTML emails. Just
sending the HTML as message body doesn't work right (as
expected). Even with an HTML enabled mail reader, it just shows up as
HTML code. I suspect I need to set the right headers, but I'm not very
knowledgeable about the exact formats for emails, and the various
headers. So, I'd appreciate any help or pointer to more
information. I'm hoping to not have to wade through a dozen RFCs to be
able to do this.

Disclaimer: The above is for a client who will send these emails to
specific recipients who are expected to be able to receive HTML
email. I do not encourage HTML mail in general.

Björn