RMS: "The Danger of Software Patents": livestream testers needed!

Nico R. n-roeser at gmx.net
Thu Nov 4 14:09:05 PST 2004

Hi,

<URL:http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-chat/2004-October/025313.html>,
>> RMS is going to talk about "The Danger of Software Patents" at the
>> University of Ulm today, in a few hours.
>>
>> According to some reports, there seem to be problems with our planned
>> video livestream for Linux users. MacOS and Windows clients do not
>> seem to be affected.
>
> Well, sort of after the fact, but I was not able to view this via
> mplayer-1.0pre5. I would have mentioned this before the talk began,
> but I rushed to campus so I could watch it :)

Thanks for the report anyway. I noticed that, but too late to announce
it properly. We put up some quick notes on
<URL:http://ulm.ccc.de/chaos-seminar/rms/stream-help.html> (German, but
should be understandable). It was possible to use today's (2004-11-04)
CVS snapshots of live and MPlayer to view the stream.

Unfortunately, there were some audio problems.

> Unfortunately, my
> university is having network problems and any given node had an
> average bandwidth less than that of a 56k modem!

Never mind, see below.

> So, I missed it :( Anyone know if this is going to be cached on the
> Internet when it is done? I'm looking GNU's website so it looks like
> they generally place transcripts/audio copies, but if anyone knows of
> a location where I can get the transcript of his talk today that would
> be cool.

The video will be converted to MP4 format and be put online so that it
can be downloaded. Download links are going to appear on
<URL:http://ulm.ccc.de/chaos-seminar/rms/> around middle of next week.
If you don't want to constantly monitor that page, you could subscribe
to the news at ulm.ccc.de mailinglist. The video availability is going to
be announced on that list. It's in German, however ...

Have fun,
--
Nico