Is tccboot the next step for LFS?

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 4 13:46:58 PST 2004

Ian Molton wrote:
> Bennett Todd wrote:
>
>> 2004-11-04T21:08:42 John Gay:
>>
>>> So I guess this is the next stage for LFS?
>>

>> I read it, and came away with the impression that it was a darned
>> cute trick, possibly of value to people debugging kernels, but
>> mostly a way cool demo of TCC's compile speed. Wish I could get tcc
>> itself to compile, but so far it's balked on my uclibc system.
>

> Indeed. the entire linux kernel in 15 seconds is seriously fast.

Is it me, or are there multiple ways of interpreting the following quote:

"TCCBOOT is only 138 KB big (uncompressed code) and it can compile and
run a typical Linux kernel in less than 15 seconds on a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4"

To me that means you can compile and reboot into a kernel within 15
seconds.  To others it may mean that a kernel compiled with TCCBOOT will
boot in 15 seconds.

Well, that got me going back to the original article
(http://lwn.net/Articles/108341/) which actually reads:

"It can compile and start booting a typical Linux kernel in less than 15
seconds on a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4."

Now, I have to agree - compiling the kernel in 15 seconds is pretty
impressive, though one wonders what features they'd chosen to compile :)
    I could probably get a kernel compiled within 15 seconds using gcc
if I chose 'N' on everything possible - it would probably even *start*
to boot too.  The original article omitted to mention of how successful
that boot was :)

Regards,

Matt.