SCSI Disk/Controller advice please

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Mon Nov 1 11:03:35 PST 2004

On 11/1/2004 12:33, Bennett Todd wrote:
> 2004-11-01T16:27:16 Jason Gurtz:
>> You should definitely go with hardware RAID if you have the extra
>> $$. It just makes it so much less problematic when something
>> happens and you have to replace a drive, etc...
>
> Opinions vary on that point.
>
> If the thing you have to replace is the raid controller itself, and
> if you've had it deployed for enough years (or, these days months:-)
> so the model you used is no longer available, it can sometimes get
> worrisome trying to get your bits back off the drives.

I was surprised to find, a few months back, that the disks that came off
of a dead AMI MegaRAID series 466 were perfectly readable when an
individual drive was hooked to a plain scsi controller.  I've also been
able to move drives from one Co.'s card to another card and not had to
redo anything.

Not that I can't see that--worrisome indeed!--situation happening.  Any
particular brands where that situation is known to occur?

> This got hammered out on Slashdot recently.
> <URL:http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/30/184256>

It's just amazing the amount of mis-information just in the top few posts!
 heh, "be sure to mix brands..." la la la.  Well I guess if the array is
JBOD it wouldn't matter but then there's no redundancy anyway.  Pfft, he
even got modded up.

A lot of those posts further justify a hardware solution by explaining all
the hoops to jump through and separate little processes that need to be
taken care of and managed to do what a good hardware card all ready does
automatically (background checking, notification, etc...).  I also see the
post that mentions the specific problem at hand and--*sigh* so typical of
/.--provides no details other than talking about ATA RAID which pretty
much means that it's not really hardware raid but a host raid setup with a
specialized driver that is the cause of the situation.

Software RAID may work OK under Linux and heck, can even be faster than
hardware raid in some circumstances, but in my experience no software can
 stack up to the simplicity and ease of use of a hardware solution,
especially in the face of the inevitable emergent situation.

~Jason