merge tools

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Mon Nov 1 04:05:38 PST 2004

* Björn Lindberg <d95-bli at nada.kth.se> [2004-11-01 11:57]:
> Miguel Bazdresch <lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org> writes:
> >
> > What are you guys using to merge code?
>
> I use plain diff & patch. :-) But seriously, what do you want it for?
> I have never used any of the tools you mention, but I know that Emacs
> has a diff mode, although I haven't really used it much either.

I have a document in Latex, and a copy of the same document with my
advisor's comments and corrections. What I want to do is to see both
files side by side, and to be able to choose which changes from the
modified file I want to merge into my document. I don't want to blindly
merge all changes.

I could do it with any editor and just see both documents side by side
and make changes by hand, but there has to be a better way :) Actually
meld does almost exactly what I want (which is to automatically transfer
changes from one document to another) but as I said, it's too slow.

I tried difftools (sdiff is the merge tool) but it's a bit
cumbersome.

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/