kernel debugging question

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Jul 20 10:19:42 PDT 2004

 I'm trying to port a mainly-working but not merged 2.4 kernel to 2.6
(yes, it's the dreaded AmigaOne).  Lots of things wrong with it, but at
the moment I'm lost on how to find a way closer to where this particular
breakage occurs:

 if I run `less' in a console (TERM=linux) everything is fine until I
try to page-up.  Then the keyboard seems to be dead. The 'command line'
shows

 ESC[5~

 I can sync, umount and boot with the magic-sysrq tree [ but not get
help on magic-sysrq ].  If I'm loggied in over ssh, the system is still
up (e.g.  running top), and the less process shows it is in DW state,
but trying to do anything interesting in the ssh session, even 'man
lsof', locks.

 Strangely, less works fine in an xterm - correcting the garbled screen
after leaving X can wait for the moment ;-)

 I know this isn't a kernel development list, but I figured I might as
well ask here first for pointers.  So far, all I can tell from strace on
a working 2.4 kernel is that it sends escape sequences to stdout.  Vim
seems to work correctly, but I think symlinking less to view isn't
really the right sort of fix.

 Any ideas ?

Ken