Distribution expertise is needed

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Sat Jul 31 19:17:04 PDT 2004

2004-07-31T13:26:50 Alexander Cheskis:
> I have to put one-click  Linux installation, with some customer's software
> on IBM X-series servers (two types of HW)

A moderately tricky problem, you need to have a completely automated
installer. If you can PXE, it's a lot easier. A custom PXE installer
is awfully easy to write.

> But somehow, with kick start use, I also got glibc, bash shell, (available
> on standard distributions), and not diet-libc and busybox shell I want.

Rrck. The only distros I know of that aren't glibc based are
uClibc-based. Has anybody done a diet-libc distro?

I know of three uClibc-based ones, uWoody, a Gentoo varient, and
Bent.

> And also I need to put RPM from the customer, which is difficult in kick
> start...

Whoops, unless you rebuild it yourself won't that rpm most likely
require glibc?

> Does any one have any suggestions as to what would be a good distro?

One with a sufficiently powerful software packaging tool to enable
the automation you want; the three I mentioned do qualify.

> If LFS is suite for this project, considering is only 4 weeks to
> the project end?

That really depends on details of what you need, and your
experience.

-Bennett