OpenPKG?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Fri Jul 30 08:58:08 PDT 2004

Has anyone here had a look at OpenPKG? I just read about it on lwn and it
seems quite good for an RPM-based package manager.

It's fairly distro agnostic, supporting, besides the usual RedHat variants,
slackware, Suse, Debian and even Gentoo!

It seems to be mainly source-based rather than pre-built binaries, so it would
not be too far removed from the bleeding edge LFS'rs enjoy.

From what I read, you can bootstrap an OpenPKG install onto most any base
system with minimal tools, like LFS, and once you have the OpenPKG tools
installed, you can fetch and install just about anything else from original
sources, patches if needed and even set standard compiler optimisations in
the build process.

Not sure if it's as good at dependency resolution as Debian's apt tools, but
for those looking for a package manager, here's another one to consider for
simplifying your system maintenance.

Cheers,

	John Gay