Deleting partitions and renumbering

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.com
Fri Jul 30 04:06:57 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 23:59, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:
[...]
> > I believe that deleting partitions (primary or logical) will renumber
> > the following partitions, am I right?
> >

>  Deleting primary partitions will NOT renumber logical partitions -
> those always start at 5 in a dos partition table.  I've never tried
> deleting logical partitions, other than removing from the end backwards.

I didn't know that (primary partitions), thanks.  However, as sod's law
dictates, most of the partitions I want to delete are logical.

[...]

> > tar it to an NFS mounted drive.
> >

>  no_root_squash for this case, I presume.

Yes, good point.

> [...]

> > cd /tar xvjpf - --same-owner
> >

> I guess that's a typo for
>
> cd / ; tar ...

It is a typo for cd /mnt/new ....

> - if so, I'd be cautious about extracting a rootfs into '/', even if all
> it overwrites is knoppix.  Probably safer to mount desired rootfs at
> /mnt/new or wherever and cd /mnt/new.  Which means mounting the other
> LVs at /mnt/new/home or wherever instead of at /home.

Yes thanks.

> > Edit fstab accordingly.
> >

>  And therefore edit /mnt/new/fstab,

Yes.

[...]

Many thanks Ken. n I'll take a deep breath and start as soon as I have
backed up my precious data.
--
Hacker's Law:
The belief that enhanced understanding will necessarily stir