Deleting partitions and renumbering

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.com
Thu Jul 29 09:02:00 PDT 2004

I want to reorganise the partitions on my desktop.  I'm preparing for
another LFS build.

I have several useless partitions I want to get rid of.

I believe that deleting partitions (primary or logical) will renumber
the following partitions, am I right?

I also use LVM, which further complicates matters.

I just want to make sure that I won't mess up my current LFS
installation, if you see any problems please give me a shout.

What I propose doing:

Boot from a knoppix drive.

Mount my current installation.

tar it to an NFS mounted drive.

cd /mnt/curr && tar cvjf *

(No dotfiles in the root partition)

Unmount /mnt/curr (and associated LVs)

Trash the LVs, VGs and partitions and recreate the partitions I want.

Recreate the VG I require.  (Gotta make sure knoppix handles LVs).

Recreate the LVs I require.

mount the newly created partitions and LVs.

tar copy back

cd /tar xvjpf - --same-owner

Edit fstab accordingly.

Reboot.

Is this OK?
--
I don't kill flies, but I like to mess with their minds. I hold them
above