question from a user

ron.peterson at yellowbank.com ron.peterson at yellowbank.com
Wed Jul 28 06:05:53 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 12:01:14PM +0200, Steven Van Impe wrote:

> I've been an LFS user/fan for the last few years, but now -more than
> ever- I'm under the impression that this project is doomed and is not
> going in the direction I would like it to go.
>
> I'm interested in learning more on how to build a modern linux system,
> mostly for everyday desktop use. I want to learn how systems work now
> and will work in the future, not how they worked in the time before
> time: for me, a system that doesn't include kernel 2.6, udev and hotplug
> is not even a system anymore.

I'm pretty new to LFS/BLFS myself, and so far, I like what I see.  I
agree it's not perfect - what is?  I believe in evolution, not
revolution, and think the only way to make things better is to chip in.
Every little bit helps.  A journey of a thousand miles starts with a
single step, as the saying goes.  If you're familiar with udev and
hotplug, perhaps you could contribute some know-how in that regard?
I've played with udev briefly, but never acquired fluency.  I, for one,
would certainly appreciate any advice, pointers, tips, etc.

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)
87 Taylor Street               /\\