Late: Best Distro for low spec (ancient !) machines

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Sun Jul 25 09:59:25 PDT 2004

2004-07-25T18:30:28 cedric:
> Maybe we could start 'diet-LFS'?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has done so.

Bent Linux[1] is pretty close to LFS, not identical but definitely
inspired by and borrowing a lot of basics. It's built against
uClibc, with as much static linking as possible.

There are other uClibc-based distros, notably uWoody maintained by
the author of uClibc, and also at least one Gentoo-based distro.

I know of two space-efficient replacements for glibc, uClibc and
dietlibc. I have the impression that uClibc is the one that's
focused on being a full-function libc replacement, suitable for use
on a full distro, while dietlibc is focused on finding the minimum
subset of libc that's capable of building the handful of utils
needed in an embedded system.

Static linking in Bent linux contributes wonderfully to simplicity
and usefulness. Simplicity, there's no need for dynamic libs
or their loading machinery, and no worries about dynamic lib
versioning. Usefulness: Bent Linux packages install and work on
pretty near any Linux, again with no lib dependencies to worry
about.

However, if the goal is to bodge as much software into as little RAM
as possible, shared libraries would probably be desireable. Happily,
Bent Linux uses a simple software packaging system, and tearing out
the static-linking efforts is easier than pushing them in.

Bent Linux doesn't have any GUI stuff, so for purposes of assembling
a GUI desktop, it's not much more than the base Linux From Scratch.

Oh, besides uClibc Bent Linux also has Busybox, so a base system can
be two files, a few dirs, and a hundred links.

-Bennett

[1] <URL:http://bent.latency.net/bent/>