"Best" distro for a lower spec machine

rl at nezumi.plus.com rl at nezumi.plus.com
Thu Jul 22 07:49:24 PDT 2004

On 2004-07-22 15:02:58 +0000, Miguel Bazdresch wrote:
> * rl at nezumi.plus.com <rl at nezumi.plus.com> [2004-07-22 12:56]:
> >
> > IIRC my first machine had 5x ten digit registers, a 20 digit accumulator
> > and ten digit-levers for the number to add/subract. You could wind the
> > handle more than once per second, but I did not have the nerve to over
> > clock that much. When you consider that the digits on the accumulator
> > could each rotate through nine places, and a carry could propogate
> > through all the digits, a sensible figure for the clock rate would be
> > about 20Hz.
>
> Are you talking about a Curta?

It was a Walther. There is a picture of a simpler model here:
http://www.xnumber.com/xnumber/mechanical3.htm

Imagine some extra registers on the back. You could copy numbers from
the entry drum into a register, or count the number of turns of the
handle (multiplied by 10 ^ (the ammout the accumulator was shifted)).
on a register. This made multiplication much easier.

Richard