"Best" distro for a lower spec machine

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Thu Jul 22 06:02:58 PDT 2004

* rl at nezumi.plus.com <rl at nezumi.plus.com> [2004-07-22 12:56]:
> On 2004-07-22 08:36:07 +0000, Jeremy Henty wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 07:54:11AM +0100, John Gay wrote:
> >
> > > As long as we're bragging, My first box was a 1.77Mhz Z-80A with 4K RAM
> >
> > Nascom-1, 2MHz Z80, 1K RAM .  You win on CPU, I win on RAM.  SHall we
> > call it a draw?
> >
> MHz & KB - luxury.
>
> IIRC my first machine had 5x ten digit registers, a 20 digit accumulator
> and ten digit-levers for the number to add/subract. You could wind the
> handle more than once per second, but I did not have the nerve to over
> clock that much. When you consider that the digits on the accumulator
> could each rotate through nine places, and a carry could propogate
> through all the digits, a sensible figure for the clock rate would be
> about 20Hz.

Are you talking about a Curta?

I wasn't going to brag, but what the heck. The first CPU I designed (it
worked too) was 4 bits, had 16 words (for 64 bits) of memory, one
accumulator and one register. It had (naturally) 16 instructions too.

The clock was a push-button, for I guess a max clock rate of a couple of
Hz. As display unit we had a bunch of LEDs. :-)

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/