"Best" distro for a lower spec machine

rl at nezumi.plus.com rl at nezumi.plus.com
Thu Jul 22 04:42:32 PDT 2004

On 2004-07-22 08:36:07 +0000, Jeremy Henty wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 07:54:11AM +0100, John Gay wrote:
>
> > As long as we're bragging, My first box was a 1.77Mhz Z-80A with 4K RAM
>
> Nascom-1, 2MHz Z80, 1K RAM .  You win on CPU, I win on RAM.  SHall we
> call it a draw?

MHz & KB - luxury.

IIRC my first machine had 5x ten digit registers, a 20 digit accumulator
and ten digit-levers for the number to add/subract. You could wind the
handle more than once per second, but I did not have the nerve to over
clock that much. When you consider that the digits on the accumulator
could each rotate through nine places, and a carry could propogate
through all the digits, a sensible figure for the clock rate would be
about 20Hz.

I did not get my abacus until later, so I cannot strut the clock speed
for that. ;-)

Richard