"Best" distro for a lower spec machine

Tartarus tartarus__666 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 14:34:11 PDT 2004

"Gareth Westwood" <gareth at wffsystems.co.uk> wrote in message
news:cdgp27$g6g$1 at belgarath.linuxfromscratch.org...
> Hi guys,
>
> As some of you may be aware (from some previous postings) I have been
> working on an internet cafe for my local scout association camp site.
> After much messing around with wireless networks and firewalling I am
at
> a stage where I need to install some software onto the machines that
the
> "customers" will be using.
>
> I want something that will allow word processing, spread sheet work
> (preferably compatible with MicroShaft Office) and web browsing. There
> really doesn't need to be much else on the system. It doesn't' matter
if
> it's a bit older and not so up to date as it is all firewalled etc and
> don't perceive there to be an internal security threat (well, I hope).
>
> Does any one have any suggestions as to what would be a good distro.
If
> I had the time I would do an LFS for them but the deadline is only 2
> weeks away and I have to much work on to even consider it.
>
> The machines are all something in the area off P100-166, 16-64mb,
1-3gb
> hdd's.
>

> Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments, as ever they will be
> appreciated.

I have got Mandrake 9.0 running on a P200 with 64 MB and 1.5G HDD ....
supports Open Office but it was very slow ..... better when I increased
ram to 128.

Also tried to load it on a P120 laptop with ram maxed-out at 48MB but
would not complete the install routines (even in text mode) ...... not
enough memory I think ....... failed when trying to build the table of
installable components.

But Knoppix V3.1 did run off CD_Rom on the P120 laptop even though it
was soooooo slow ...... again not enough real memory and a lot of CPU
cycles obviously sacrificed to decompress the CD-ROM partition on the
fly.

HTH

Tony Sauri