"Best" distro for a lower spec machine

rl at nezumi.plus.com rl at nezumi.plus.com
Mon Jul 19 11:48:14 PDT 2004

On 2004-07-19 16:24:57 +0000, Gareth Westwood wrote:
> I want something that will allow word processing, spread sheet work
> [...]
> Does any one have any suggestions as to what would be a good distro. If
> I had the time I would do an LFS for them but the deadline is only 2
> weeks away and I have to much work on to even consider it.
>
> The machines are all something in the area off P100-166, 16-64mb, 1-3gb
> hdd's.

You might consider having your client machines running X-servers only,
and all the real work on done on an application server. This is a very
mixed blessing:

Pros:
*) This has been done before with a (by modern standards) wimpy machine
   handling about 50 users. (I wish I could remember the URL where it
   was thoroughly documented, and how wimpy the machine was. Dual 300Mhz
   athlon at a guess.)
*) There is not much to maintain on the clients, and although X is quite
   demanding, the machine has nothing else to do.
*) You do not have to get everything working on day 1. You can provide
   new services on the appication server, and all the clients get it
   at once, without having to go arround the office and upgrade each
   machine.

Cons:
*) Compentent local crackers can elevate their priveledge to root on the
   server unless you pay extreme attention to security.
*) Enabling lots of eye-candy will cost network traffic and cost CPU
   performance on the server.

Richard
--
Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.