Read only root

rl at nezumi.plus.com rl at nezumi.plus.com
Mon Jul 19 11:15:38 PDT 2004

On 2004-07-19 09:42:31 +0000, Archaic wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 04:31:17PM +0100, Gareth Westwood wrote:
> >
> > I still have the /etc/passwd stuff in my list of things to do/research.
> > I guess from your posts you have got it sorted now?
>
> No. Haven't had time or need before as I administrate everyone's
> passwords myself. Luckily I don't have 100 users or that would be way
> too tedious. Eventually I'll get around to it because I need it for the
> HLFS book as well, but if someone beats me to it, I won't complain. ;)

I tried simply:
mv /etc/passwd /var/lib/misc
ln -s /var/lib/misc /etc/passwd
and the same for group, shadow and gshadow.

A brief test showed no problems with this setup. This was some time ago,
and things may have changed. I do not use this on any of my boxes. These
files hardly ever change at home or at work, and the users at work are
all sufficiently clued up about how to make root temporarily R/W when
they want to change the config files.

Richard
--
Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW.