"Best" distro for a lower spec machine

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Mon Jul 19 09:52:33 PDT 2004

2004-07-19T15:44:28 Archaic:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 04:24:57PM +0100, Gareth Westwood wrote:
> >
> > The machines are all something in the area off P100-166, 16-64mb, 1-3gb
> > hdd's.
>
> That's not lower spec, that's ancient. If you aren't worried about
> security, I'd say go with an old distro like RH 6.1, though I don't
> recall if it had OpenOffice back then.

I'm sure it didn't. Even RH7 didn't, I don't think.

If you could see your way clear to abandoning X, it'd be easy, you
could use anything.

If you gotta piss away resources on X, then I think your best bet
will be to start with a software-packaged distro (for installation
and maintenance across your batch of machines), based on uClibc ---
uWoody or Gentoo are the main choices I know of --- then try and
build TinyX for it.

I'd tell you to check out my Bent Linux, but I don't do X, dunno how
hard it'd be to do that bit of it, especially since you want office
software, which tends to have a rather lengthy prereq list in front
of it.

-Bennett