"Best" distro for a lower spec machine

Gareth Westwood gareth at wffsystems.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 08:24:57 PDT 2004

Hi guys,

As some of you may be aware (from some previous postings) I have been
working on an internet cafe for my local scout association camp site.
After much messing around with wireless networks and firewalling I am at
a stage where I need to install some software onto the machines that the
"customers" will be using.

I want something that will allow word processing, spread sheet work
(preferably compatible with MicroShaft Office) and web browsing. There
really doesn't need to be much else on the system. It doesn't' matter if
it's a bit older and not so up to date as it is all firewalled etc and I
don't perceive there to be an internal security threat (well, I hope).

Does any one have any suggestions as to what would be a good distro. If
I had the time I would do an LFS for them but the deadline is only 2
weeks away and I have to much work on to even consider it.

The machines are all something in the area off P100-166, 16-64mb, 1-3gb
hdd's.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments, as ever they will be
appreciated.