Read only root

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 19 05:48:08 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:01:07AM +0100, Ian Molton wrote:

> Is that necessary if you have a writeable /etc ?
>
> My plan was to mount root read only and then mount /etc /var and /tmp on
> top of that.

Again, are you using a 2.6 kernel? I don't know the sequence of udev.
You might need a couple of static devs on / (in etc) that gets mounted
over, but that I'm not sure about as I've seen so much info on udev,
sysfs, and hotplug, I can't keep it all straight. Are you following the
testing branch? If someone can lay out the sequence of events dev-wise
in a normal rw system, then it should be pretty easy to figure out what
your requirements will be. I do know that there will need to be a
static, fake, ro mtab on the / showing only / mounted (at least on a 2.4
system). Otherwise, you get problems. The hint has lots of info that
will pertain to you even if you use 2.6.

--
Archaic

Love your country, but never trust its government.

- Robert A. Heinlein.