Read only root

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 18 17:53:17 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:27:05AM +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Am planning to do a read only root fs. Anyone got experience of this?

Read my hint. A glibc re-compile will be necessary if you want a
writable mtab. Also, if you are on a 2.6 kernel, you'll have to modify
the setup for udev. Please pass any notes you make on to me so I can
update the hint accordingly.

BTW, I will be updating it eventually for some tips I've picked up along
the way. I don't have my notes handy, but do a grep -r \.pwd\.lock * and
one file will turn up where you can change the lock file location. I
think my hint will put it in /var/lock as that seems logical.

Also, I've not played around with moving all the passwd type files, yet.
You might get away with just symlinks, but I think patching shadow (and
glibc?) would be best.  Though you will still probably need a link to
/etc for compatibility with other packages. If you are using PAM,
though, you can likely patch PAM for the non-standard location and that
will at least fix all the packages that use PAM.

--
Archaic

Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to
prove that the other party is unfit to rule--and both commonly succeed,
and are right... The United States has never developed an aristocracy
really disinterested or an intelligentsia really intelligent. Its
history is simply a record of vacillations between two gangs of frauds.

- H. L. Mencken