console vs. rxvt vs. xterm vs. emacs buffer: Output speed

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Fri Jul 16 07:17:46 PDT 2004

2004-07-16T12:38:58 Uli Fahrenberg:
> If I ever find decent dvi and ps viewers that don't demand X, I'll stop
> using X immediately. Any suggestions?

I've yet to find anything good for dvi, which seems a shame.

For some but not all postscript files, ps2ascii works Ok. Sometimes
ps2pdf followed by pdftotext works better. As a last ditch I
sometimes use fbgs, a wrapper around gs to render postfix into JPEGs
then run fbi to display them on the frame buffer. But it's a rare
document that makes me care enough to suffer through that:-).

-Bennett