console vs. rxvt vs. xterm vs. emacs buffer: Output speed

Allard Welter allard at quicknet.nl
Fri Jul 16 06:11:36 PDT 2004

On Friday 16 July 2004 14:46, Archaic wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 02:38:58PM +0200, Uli Fahrenberg wrote:
> > If I ever find decent dvi and ps viewers that don't demand X, I'll
> > stop using X immediately. Any suggestions?
>
> Alas, no. :( There are also a couple of programs for which I rely on
> X as well. Mostly OpenOffice. But even then, I generally write all my
> docs in vi (on console, of course), and only use OOo for the
> formatting.

Are you sure about this? I remember back in the mid to late 80's we
found a program to view articles from physics archives. I admit I seem
to recall this was a dos program (alas I cannot recall a name), but if
so, perhaps there were other ports. It took several minutes to generate
one page and also output the ps file to a dot matrix printer. We had
the electronics department soup up one of our printers to speed things
up a bit resulting in everything approaching italics with skid marks.
However did we have the patience in those days?

Regards - Allard