console vs. rxvt vs. xterm vs. emacs buffer: Output speed

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 16 05:29:42 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 10:49:36AM +0200, Uli Fahrenberg wrote:

> Running latex && bibtex &&latex && latex in an emacs buffer takes 20.6
> seconds real time with my current size-of-file. Running the same in rxvt
> takes only 12.5 seconds! For xterm the number is 25 seconds, and for
> console it's 11.1 seconds.

The moral of the story is, stick to console! ;)

> 3) might also suggest (hey, there *was* a reference to LFS!) that
> running make>log is to prefer over simply make .

A full build of 5.1.1 after adding offscreen logging for configure,
make, and make check (not install) on every package in chapter 6 went
from 7 hours to just under 6.5 hours. I think I'm going to do chap5 and
all install targets as well as I start writing the LFS 6 scripts.

--
Archaic

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. We
hold this prudent jealousy to be the first duty of citizens and one of
the noblest characteristics of the late Revolution. The freemen of
America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by
exercise and entangled the question in precedents. They saw all the
consequences in the principle, and they avoided the consequences by
denying the principle. We revere this lesson too much ... to forget it

- James Madison.