bzImage -> vmlinux?

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Jul 14 08:04:38 PDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:20:59 +0000
Bennett Todd <bet at rahul.net> wrote:

> It's not code readonly/readwrite, it's not kernel pages -vs-
> userspace pages, it's who provides the input that the uncompressor
> is working on. Strangers get to feed the userspace uncompressor, and
> we don't want those strangers able to run arbitrary code. The only
> folks who can feed the kernel uncompressor are the folks who're
> providing the compressed kernel image at boot time, they own the
> system regardless.

Ah you were suggesting the kernels version could be out of date not that
userspace could access kernel data, I see what you are on about now.

Well, one would hope the kernel zlib was at *least* as up to date as the
user one, as its NOT known what might feed the kernels zlib - it could
*easily* be a maliciously crafted compressed ISO image, for example...

(granted the bzimage zlib is pretty irrelevant but thats not what most
people mean when they speak of the kernel zlib...)