bzImage -> vmlinux?

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Jul 13 03:16:28 PDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Jason Kircher wrote:

> On Monday 12 July 2004 17:15, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >  Wrong tool, you might do better with gzip, it's not bz as in bz2, but b
> > as in big, i.e. it's a "big zImage".
>
> cdrradar at aribeth:~/mnt/kernels/bare.i$ gunzip -c bzImage >~/vmlinux
>
> gunzip: bzImage: not in gzip format
>
> Nyet, didn't work.

 I didn't say it was as simple as using gunzip :-)  I've never been
sufficiently interested to do it, so far I just keep vmlinux around when
I expect to have to compare multiple builds, but the kernel has an
internal libz (and, it isn't exactly the same as any released libz)  In
ppc we have a decompress_kernel function (arch/ppc/simple/misc.c), I'm
sure x86 has something similar.

 On ppc we load to a specific address, so clearly you can't just copy
the code and try to run it verbatim in userspace.

Ken