Linux memory usage and swap files

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Sat Jul 10 13:56:48 PDT 2004

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 14:51:19 -0400
Jason Gurtz <jason at tommyk.com> wrote:

> > so basically, that machine is busy 'wasting' 256MB of RAM thats
> > sitting there doing nothing?
>
> Yup.  Nonetheless, I find that more palatable then the results of the
> current Linux VM

TBH, I find 2.6 (at least .5 and upwards) to be very good. I used to use
a 4.3 FreeBSD box at work and I ditched it because linux (2.4.<very
early>, at the time) gave far superior performance. I found that BSD on the same box would be driven into swap quite easily and performed quite badly (compared to linux) when that happened.

when neither OS swapped performance was very similar.