Next Week

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Jul 9 06:15:05 PDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Ian Molton wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:29:02 +0100 (BST)
> Ken Moffat <ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net> wrote:
>

> >  If you enter all the commands by hand, or by copy-and-paste, with an
> > average machine and not making any mistakes, maybe the best part of a
> > week.
>
> What do you consider average? A P-5b 200 ?

 OK, I've gone back and looked at the available evidence.  On a 1GHz
celeron, scripted, about 12 hours to get to the end of the book.
Similar figures for the amigaone (detuned to gcc-3.3.2), I must have
included all of the BLFS things I normally build in my calculation.
Maybe I should edit my comment:

 with a less than state of the art machine and plenty of memory, the
truly obsessive can probably get through the LFS book in a calendar day
if they don't make mistakes.  With an excessively recent machine, the
limiting factor is probably your speed of typing.

 Is that better ? ;-)

Ken4