Linux memory usage and swap files

Gareth Westwood gareth at wffsystems.co.uk
Thu Jul 8 16:32:22 PDT 2004

Ian Molton wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:22:50 +0100
> Gareth Westwood <gareth at wffsystems.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Is there a way to initiate a clear out of memory/swap? I got 512 mb in
>>
>>this box and it is nearly always round the top 90% mark. I can't
>>believe that it's all still in use.
>

> Im not clear what you want to do?

Sorry, that'd be my bad English

> Are you complaining that the kernel is allocating nearly all your RAM,
> or nearly all your swap?

RAM, but Jason has pointed out why. I was being a bit silly really.

> In either case, try to remember that the kernel generally doesnt bother
> freeing stuff unless it has to.

I kind of never thought of it like that. I will have to do some reading
but from what I have read so far... it's not a problem and the kernel
will free it up when it is needed by something. So that's cool.

--
Gareth Westwood