Stuff/Software

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Thu Jul 8 07:30:03 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> writes:

> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
> tino rozzo <teak at linux.net> wrote:
>

> > I am interested in compilers that would allow me to:
> >
> > 1. Create my own Linux DOS
>
> Your own Linux DOS?  Uhm, they're two very different Operating systems.
> I presume by DOS you mean a shell - i.e. something that provides a
> command-line?  Or maybe you want to create your own DOS emulator (i.e.
> something that will allow you to run DOS programs under Linux).
>
> > 2. Create a programming language of my own design.
>
> Wow - that's *very* ambitious.
>
> > Is that possible? where would I get that stuff?
>
> Well, anything's possible, but I've no idea where you'd start.  If my
> assumption about 1) is correct, then your best bet is probably to study
> the source code of some existing open-source shells (bash, ash, ksh,
> zsh, etc.).  For 2) You'll definitely need some textbooks on language
> design, compiler design/writing and an in depth knowledge of assembly
> language, which is, at the end of the day, what you're programming
> language compiler will have to produce as an end result.

Not necessarily. It could produce byte-codes for a virtual machine, eg
the Java VM, or source code for another language, like C or Common
Lisp. Not to mention that if he is content with an interpreter for his
language, he doesn't need to write a compiler at all. I agree that it
is quite an ambitious project in either case though.

Björn