Linux memory usage and swap files

Carlos Martin carlosmn at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 14:25:54 PDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:08:37 +0000, Bennett Todd <bet at rahul.net> wrote:
> So I exhaggerated some maybe, I don't especially like GUIs. But that
> was the flavour of the complaint. That user is best pleased with no
> swap allocated.
>
> -Bennett

Which is why sometimes for that kind of thing, swap is best not used.
However, the difficulty is turning swap on/off or the swappinness
factor increased or decreased when s/he leaves the office.

That user could also turn off the computer. Having a powerful machine
doesn't mean it should be always on, although that's probably the
wrong end of the stick in regard to the problem.

That user would be best pleased with a very little swappinness rather
than no swap at all, because they might at some point (even if not
likely) run out of physical RAM.

People shoudn't expect GUI stuff to work fast anyway ;)

--
Carlos Martín
SoKrA-BTS