I leave the project

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 7 14:13:59 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> Then please accept my apologies.  I read between the lines wrongly!

No problem.

> As far as hotplug goes, I'm quite happy for it to stay in unstable.  It
> vastly simplifies module loading under a udev setup, but from what I
> could discern, which admittedly may not be correct, is that it was being
> developed into a full on auto-hardware detection and support mechanism,
> which I don't believe is suitable for LFS.  hotplug, if used solely for
> (other than the technical problems currently associated with it).

Unfortunately if you put hotplug on the system you are going to have to
deal with some of those other issues. Granted, it's not necessary to
have fully hotplug-driven networking, or hotplug-driven filesystem
mounting. Those are outside the scope of LFS as it is defined today.

However, there are issues raised that don't even concern the hotplug
package; some of them are just between module loading (either manually
or with Zack's "modules" script) and accessing the devices created by
those modules. Those issues will exist without the hotplug package even
being installed, because they are timing issues between the module load,
the hotplug event being sent to userspace and udev processing. Anyone
who expects that every device supported by the modules they load with
the "modules" script to appear and be ready for use before the next
bootscript runs has the potential to be rudely surprised :-)

The only permanent solution to that problem is to move to hotplug-based
system startup, which means that no attempts are made to use any devices
until after the system has identified them and created the relevant
device nodes. This is where the hotplug package comes back into the
picture. Personally I will be interested to see what happens when
regular users start building testing with 2.6/udev and without any
warning about what can happen if they use modules for their devices.