Linux memory usage and swap files

Carlos Martin carlosmn at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 12:48:14 PDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:16:51 +0200, Dan Osterrath <dan.osterrath at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 7. Juli 2004 21:10 schrieb Carlos Martin:
> > On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 22:03:43 +0300, Shane Shields
> > > There was a recent thread about the need and wisdom of using a swap file
> > > and some stated that if you have enough memory you don't need one and
> > > others stated that it will always improve performance.
> > If you need it, having swap will always improve performance. If you
> > don't need it, it won't improve it.
>
> These 2 cases are obvious. But the others are the key:
> If you need it but don't have it your programs will be killed with "out of
> memory". If you have it but don't need it it costs you some megabyte.

Well, of course it costs you megs, but nowadays you can get a price of
about $1/1€ per gig for a desktop hard drive.
I haven't tried using swap files, but that's because I have room to
spare in all my hard drives except this laptop, but I'm gonna fix that
in a few days.
IMHO, it's better to have a few extra megs of swap than a few apps
killed for lack of memory.
--
Carlos Martín
SoKrA-BTS