Linux memory usage and swap files

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Jul 7 12:18:57 PDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:10:44 +0200
Carlos Martin <carlosmn at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you need it, having swap will always improve performance. If you
> don't need it, it won't improve it. You should always have a swap
> partition, even if it's just a few megs.
> Swap is most useful for swapping out stuff you're not using and
> leaving room in the system RAM for the filesystem cache and buffers.

Agreed. IIRC Im the one who said 'always improves' performance.

perhaps 'never degrades' would be a better way to put it as clearly many
boxes now fall into the category of having so much RAM that swap just
never happens...

Funny really - 15 years ago I was looking at the proces of a 4 -> 8MB
upgrade for the Acorn Archimedes, dreaming of when I could afford to own
one (890UKP as I recall).

Now I built a machine 1000 times as powerful and with a gigabyte of RAM
for about 150ukp all in...