Linux memory usage and swap files

Shane Shields silashields at ttnet.net.tr
Wed Jul 7 12:03:43 PDT 2004

Hi all,

There was a recent thread about the need and wisdom of using a swap file and
some stated that if you have enough memory you don't need one and others
stated that it will always improve performance. Just for the record here is
my top header and /proc/meminfo. I have been doing extensive compiling of a
complete kde cvs (several times) and at this moment it is compiling koffice
and python at the same time. The kernel is 2.6.6 and the base system is a
heavily upgraded rpm'ised lfs 4.1.

top - 00:10:44 up 5 days, 16:58,  3 users,  load average: 4.35, 3.05, 3.21
Tasks:  88 total,   7 running,  81 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  73.7% user,  24.3% system,   2.0% nice,   0.0% idle,   0.0% IO-wait
Mem:    517128k total,   511912k used,     5216k free,    79244k buffers
Swap:   240400k total,        0k used,   240400k free,   230308k cached

locutus:~$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:       517128 kB
MemFree:          3168 kB
Buffers:         79904 kB
Cached:         231276 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         347888 kB
Inactive:       107616 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       517128 kB
LowFree:          3168 kB
SwapTotal:      240400 kB
SwapFree:       240400 kB
Dirty:           37732 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:         191588 kB
Slab:            39716 kB
Committed_AS:   186560 kB
PageTables:       1976 kB
VmallocTotal:   516056 kB
VmallocUsed:    157720 kB
VmallocChunk:   357820 kB

Note: This is not a production or work machine so my figures *must* be taken
with a grain or two of salt. Still after I had upgraded my memory I have been
very impressed.

--
Shane Shields

Registered LFS Compiler: 7582
To drink the WINE of success you must first seek the sayings of source