Stuff/Software

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Wed Jul 7 11:26:48 PDT 2004

2004-07-07T17:36:14 tino rozzo:
> I am interested in compilers [...]

There are zillions of them. Most of the code that we build to create
a Unix-like system, such as a Linux (e.g. From Scratch) is written
in C, and far and away the most widely-used C compiler is gcc. There
are other C compilers, and there are compilers for preposterous
numbers of other languages.

> [...] that would allow me to:
>
> 1. Create my own Linux DOS

Linux is an Operating System. DOS is a name that was popularly used
for various operating systems, notably in the 1970s and early 1980s.
Linux is not DOS.

What exactly do you mean? If you want to build your own Linux,
that's what the Linux From Scratch project is all about. Go to
<URL:http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/> and read the book.

> 2. Create a programming language of my own design.

Designing a language is the hard part. Once you've designed it,
there are plenty of tools to help you implement it.

For production-quality compilers for languages with simple,
traditional, algol-inspired syntax and semantics the GCC compiler
suite is a good starting point, there have been many different
front-ends made for it for different languages.

For quick-and-dirty rapid prototypes, it's hard to beat a good Lisp,
and there are many of them available in all sizes and speeds.

> Is that possible? where would I get that stuff?

For the "Linux DOS", tell us more, the question as asked doesn't
seem to make sense, at least to me.

For "create a programming language", there's a good bit of
background to read up on, to get a feel for language design you
might look at a pile of books including K&R (for C), the camel book
(for Perl), Anatomy of a Lisp, TCL and TK, and so on --- language
reference books for major languages. Alongside that you'll want to
read a good compiler design book (I studied out of Aho and Ullman
in college, but that was some years back, I don't know what are the
recommended textbooks these days).

> Also seeking HTML editor for Linux.

I use jove, an emacs-style text editor. No special support for html,
but it's easy enough to compose. I finish with a pass through
weblint to catch typos in the HTML.

-Bennett