Stuff/Software

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 7 10:56:06 PDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
tino rozzo <teak at linux.net> wrote:

> I am interested in compilers that would allow me to:
>
> 1. Create my own Linux DOS

Your own Linux DOS?  Uhm, they're two very different Operating systems.
I presume by DOS you mean a shell - i.e. something that provides a
command-line?  Or maybe you want to create your own DOS emulator (i.e.
something that will allow you to run DOS programs under Linux).

> 2. Create a programming language of my own design.

Wow - that's *very* ambitious.

> Is that possible? where would I get that stuff?

Well, anything's possible, but I've no idea where you'd start.  If my
assumption about 1) is correct, then your best bet is probably to study
the source code of some existing open-source shells (bash, ash, ksh,
zsh, etc.).  For 2) You'll definitely need some textbooks on language
design, compiler design/writing and an in depth knowledge of assembly
language, which is, at the end of the day, what you're programming
language compiler will have to produce as an end result.

Best of luck!

Matt.