I leave the project

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 7 10:32:49 PDT 2004

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:32:13 +0600
"Alexander E. Patrakov" <see at the.sig> wrote:

> Sorry for all the mess that I have done with the book. I want to leave
> the project because it is not exaclty what I need, and I disagree with
> the roadmap. My bad.

I'm sorry that you want to leave the project.  Whilst the work you have
done on the hotplug side of things isn't *exactly* suitable for LFS,
your efforts and communications have been very useful in educating a lot
of us in the ways of udev & hotplug.

I'd also like to thank you for your efforts on the I18N side of things,
which is the area I particularly took you on board for.  This, I'm sure,
will help widen our user base.  If you wouldn't mind, could you provide
us with a summary of the state of i18n in the book so we know what, if
anything, still needs to be done in that area please?

> Packages built in LFS should not work out of the box (they should be
> with their bad default configuration), otherwise LFS will become a
> distro.

I take issue with that.  I don't think we should ever ship with a known
bad configuration, at least not for the *majority* of users.  It is
quite possible that the configuration we supply is not the correct or
most useful for some users, and where such issues are known they should
be documented and pointers provided to where further information
regarding configuration options are detailed.  I've seen *nothing*,
recently, regarding broken configurations, and there's no open bugzilla
issues regarding it either.  If we aren't made aware of the issues, how
are we supposed to address them?

Anyway, thanks again for the efforts you put in, I'm just sorry you
don't think LFS is suitable for you.

Cheers,

Matt.