redirection

Jochen Schroeder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Wed Jul 7 07:11:33 PDT 2004

Archaic wrote:
> I've come across a need I never had before and can't figure out the
> proper syntax. Take this example: make check 2>&1 &> check.log
>
> Works great, but now I need to append, but make check 2>&1 &>> check.log
> doesn't work.
>
> Also, piping to tee is not an option. Any ideas?

I think you have something mixed up there, &> is  equivalent to >
check.log 2>&1, so a make check &> check.log would have been sufficient.
Now for what you want to do, you should do make check >> check.log 2>&1

man bash should clear things up ;-)

Cheers
Jochen
--
An honest politician is one who, once he's bought, stays bought.
- Mark Twain