redirection

Patrick Head patrick at phead.net
Wed Jul 7 06:13:49 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 06:05, Archaic wrote:
> I've come across a need I never had before and can't figure out the
> proper syntax. Take this example: make check 2>&1 &> check.log
>
> Works great, but now I need to append, but make check 2>&1 &>> check.log
> doesn't work.

Why are you using the '&' symbol before the non qualified (stdout)
redirect?  I just tried using '2>&1 >>check.log' and all was well.

Maybe I am missing something, but the '&' is used to tell the shell
to redirect to the same place as an existing file descriptor, so I
don't think the '&' used in place of a file descriptor means much.

Hope this helps!

Patrick