I leave the project

Andrew Calkin calkin at ieee.org
Wed Jul 7 05:42:59 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:59:20AM +0100, Chris Lingard wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>

> I am very sorry to hear of your decision.  I do not know what strategy
> stops our American contingent from using your ideas.  I woud have thought
> that a book that "works for everyone without deviation" is a good thing.
>
> If this makes LFS into a distro, then why not.  As long as it retains its
> educational nature.  Do we really need to dumb down the book?
>
> I found your hotplug contributions very educational, and am using them,
> during cold plug, to detect hardware; in place of the old devfs.
>
> I had hoped that LFS would have become international, and that you could
> have helped us break the mold.
Though I am not familiar with your work Alex, I have found these two
areas which Chris has mentioned to be particularly troublesome, so I will
investigate your contributions.

Also, I have found your postings in the various lists to be very useful.

If not to contribute your research to book itself, would you consider
updating the hints with your latest findings/work?

I believe that i18n is one of the major factors affecting widespread
acceptance of linux, and it plays a very important role in many systems.
It should at least be considered in an appendix in the LFS book, with
instructions and limitations of the approach- that way it has
educational value for those with non-English backgrounds before they
attemt the i18n path under linux.

Note that I am a native speaker of English, but I still believe this to
be true in general. I think that a hint showing which programs/packages
break with multi-byte character sets on its own would be a valuable
resource- then those who might attempt this will be aware of the
problem. I have myself used certain programs with special environment
variables to change the locale used without affecting the rest of the
system- possibly for the affected programs (or some of them) this could
provide a temporary solution until the maintainers of those packages fix
the problem?

Anyway, thanks for all your contributions anyway.

Regards,
//Andrew