Noob questions: ELF binaries, a.out, and xmkmf

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 6 22:37:50 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 10:51:57PM +0100, Matthew Burgess wrote:

> For purely historical reasons.  I think I found this myself by googling
> for something like "ELF vs. a.out".

And also for assurance, just do the linker test from the book:

echo 'main(){}'>dummy.c
cc dummy.c
file a.out

The output should be:

a.out: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, blah blah

--
Archaic

It will be of little avail to the people, that the laws are made by men
of their own choice, if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be
read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood; if they be
repealed or revised before they are promulgated, or undergo such
incessant changes that no man, who knows what the law is to-day, can
guess what it will be to-morrow. Law is defined to be a rule of action;
but how can that be a rule, which is little known, and less fixed?

- James Madison, Federalist Papers 62