I leave the project

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Tue Jul 6 21:29:23 PDT 2004

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:32:13 +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> Sorry for all the mess that I have done with the book. I want to leave
> the project because it is not exaclty what I need, and I disagree with
> the roadmap. My bad.
>
> Now Jeremy and Jim explained me my mistakes, and I agree with them. The
> main mistake is that I haven't realized that a book that works for
> everyone without deviation _is_ a distro, and that's bad. (To clarify
> myself, addition of packages that is not a result of broken dependencies
> is not a deviation.) We should be an educational tool, not a distro.
>
> Packages built in LFS should not work out of the box (they should be
> with their bad default configuration), otherwise LFS will become a distro.
>
> In short, I want not LFS, but some other project.
>
> So please rethink and possibly remove all my contributions, including
> i18n. It's your project, and you decide what you want in it. Once again,
> I don't ask you to remove everything unconditionally, I just ask you to
> rethink my contributions.
>
> Also, I am very sorry that I am 75% of the reason why Jim left the project.

Just to make sure the record is set straight, nowhere was it stated that
Alex was 75% of the reason Jim left the project:

Quote from the log from IRC's #be-lfs, where discussion on this took place:

<jim> It has to do more than you Alex, but 75% of the stuff you want to add is not needed.
<jim> The other reasons are mine alone.

So, Jim stated that he felt the stuff that Alexander was trying to add was
not needed, and Alexander misinterpreted that.

Just felt the record needed to be set straight after this inflamitory post.

-J-